Most people think a rustic wedding must happen in a huge cathedral or a fancy mansion to be beautiful.
The problem is weddings are costly, no doubt about that. A beautiful wedding can cost approximately $16,000 to $46,000 in the United States.
The good news? With strategic planning and a touch of creativity, you can bring your dream wedding to life without emptying your pockets.
With DIY wedding decorations, you can have a budget-friendly approach to showcase your personality and leave a lasting impression on your wedding guests.
DIY décor infuses your wedding with a personal touch beyond the generic and predictable. With handmade seating arrangements, carefully crafted lighting, and bespoke banners, you can tell your unique love story.
The best part? You don’t have to be a crafting expert to achieve stunning results. The key is to explore and embrace the diverse array of DIY decorations available, tailoring them to fit your specific theme and vision.
Whether you dream of an elegant rustic affair, a boho-chic celebration, or a vintage-inspired gathering, DIY elements allow you to customize every detail.
Discover the joy of creating a wedding that reflects your creativity and personality and fits comfortably within your budget. Let’s turn your vision into a reality, one handmade detail at a time.
- Weddings can be very expensive, costing $16k-$46k on average in the US. However, you can have a dream wedding within your budget with strategic planning and creativity.
- DIY backyard wedding decor allows you to add a personal touch and showcase your personality without overspending. Handmade details tell your unique love story.
- Explore diverse DIY decorations – like a charming wedding card box – to match your wedding theme and vision, whether elegant, rustic, boho-chic, or vintage.
DIY Décor Ideas on a Budget
We believe weddings should be uniquely yours, even on a budget.
Below is a guide to show you how to add a personal touch to your celebration without overspending. From simple table centerpieces to clever lighting, we’ll help you turn everyday items into special wedding details.
Mason Jar or Tin Can Base Arrangements
Mason jars are a budget-friendly wedding option that can add an elegant touch to your outdoor wedding decorations.
These versatile jars typically cost around $1 to $5 each, and you can find them affordably at thrift stores, garage sales, or Dollar Tree.
To personalize your Mason jars, consider using spray paint in your wedding colors, wrapping them with twine, and adding a small tag with your initials or wedding date.
This simple customization adds a unique touch to your decor.
Mason jars offer a versatile and affordable way to create a charming and personalized atmosphere for your outdoor backyard wedding.
For an affordable yet beautiful touch to your wedding, consider incorporating wildflowers, baby’s breath, and greenery into your floral arrangements.
These natural elements offer budget-friendly options, whether gathered from a garden, purchased from local florists, or sourced from farmers’ markets, local farms, or grocery stores.
Combine these elements creatively to craft lovely bouquets, centerpieces, and aisle decorations.
The mix of wildflowers, baby’s breath, and greenery not only adds a romantic and rustic vibe to your wedding but also ensures an elegant look within your budget. You can add them on a chalkboard wedding sign for a country vibe.
Additionally, when navigating the choices between artificial and fresh flowers, explore budget-friendly options such as grocery stores, wholesale flower markets, or farmers’ markets for your bridal bouquet, bridesmaids’ flowers, and flower petals for the wedding aisle.
If budget constraints are a concern, consider the cost-effective and charming option of wildflowers or greenery.
Wedding floating candles are a captivating lighting feature, infusing your celebration with a warm and romantic ambiance.
You can customize the ambiance to suit your preferences with a range of sizes and colors available.
For an added touch of elegance, consider incorporating unique items such as vintage candle holders or repurposed mason jars, repurposed as vases for decoration.
These additions not only complement the floating candles but also contribute to the overall aesthetic of your wedding decor.
Experimenting with various arrangements can elevate the visual impact of floating candles.
Whether placed on tables, along pathways, or in water-filled vessels, these budget-friendly choices enhance the overall atmosphere, creating a magical and romantic feel throughout your celebration.
The gentle glow from the floating candles adds a charming and intimate element, making your wedding an unforgettable and enchanting experience.
Signage emerges as a practical and budget-friendly solution to ensure a seamless flow for your backyard wedding.
Painted wooden signs showcasing details like the bar menu and seating chart can infuse a rustic charm into the setting.
Meanwhile, a versatile chalkboard sign can serve various purposes—guiding guests to the guestbook, sharing memories, and cost-effectively offering advice.
Consider opting for paper fans for an affordable yet decorative touch to table numbers.
These practical items help organize seating arrangements and add a charming element to your tables without straining your budget.
The key to maximizing the impact of these wedding signs is customization.
Tailor them to match your wedding theme, creating an organized and charming atmosphere that complements the overall aesthetic of your celebration.
This customization ensures that your wedding signs serve a functional purpose and contribute to the cohesive and delightful ambiance of your backyard wedding without breaking the bank.
String lights are an affordable way of creating a romantic and beautiful ambiance for your special day.
Hang them overhead in trees, tents, and reception. You can also hang them on fences or your tent’s ceiling.
The cheapest places to buy these lights are Amazon, Walmart or Target.
If you can’t afford to purchase these fairy lights, you can borrow them from a friend who has used them in previous outdoor events.
Also, consider using paper lanterns to line your tables or pathways and candles of different heights and candles. These usually cost $1-$2 per candle.
Make your wedding table stand out with affordable and charming DIY décor, focusing on the versatility of budget-friendly burlap.
Opt for a burlap or lace table runner to add a touch of rustic elegance without breaking the bank.
Burlap, priced at usually below $10 per yard, isn’t just limited to table runners—it can also serve as chair covers, enhancing the overall look of your wedding reception area on a budget.
You can also get creative with place cards and explore alternatives like wood slices or stones for a unique touch that adds personality to each table.
Remember, you don’t have to buy everything; repurpose items from your home, like old bottles turned into flower vases or bud vases, or use old shutters as a backdrop for photos.
This not only keeps costs down but also adds a sentimental and eco-friendly element to your wedding décor.
Hay Bale Seating
Instead of traditional chairs and tables, consider hay bale seating. You can use hay bales as seating, tables, or backdrop for your pictures. This option is more affordable, costing around $5-$10 per bale.
Farms, feed stores, and hay supplier websites sell them affordably.
Some guests may not be comfortable sitting on a hay bale. In that case, mix it with standard chairs.
Remember to cover the bales with white sheets or quilts of different colors, provided they match to create a country feel. Solid fabric bolts will bring a chic feel to your wedding color scheme.
Tip: If setting hay bales sitting on grass, ensure the sprinklers don’t go on. Soggy hay bales are a turn-off. You can also use two hay bales with a skinny board to create bench-like seating.
You can consider having an after-party at the fire pit for your reception.
You can purchase s’more kits from a local market and build your fire pit.
Everyone will fit around a mini fire pit if you are having an intimate wedding.
But if you’ve invited many people and you are certain they will stay until the night, make several mini fire pits to put along the tables with s’more stations in between.
More Tips to Keep Your Budget in Check
Here are additional valuable tips to help you maintain a budget-friendly approach to your big day, ensuring an intimate backyard wedding that aligns with your preferences and weather conditions:
- Shop Smart for Décor: Purchase cute and functional items like frames, vases, and lanterns from thrift stores and dollar stores.
- Borrow or Rent Essentials: Save on expenses by borrowing or renting chairs, a sound system, tableware, and a wedding arch for your intimate backyard celebration.
- Prioritize with a Checklist: Create a checklist prioritizing key areas, from the planning process to the dance floor and head table. Emphasize the importance of staying within a wedding budget.
- Seasonal and Local Flowers: Opt for flowers that are in season and locally available to ensure freshness and affordability.
- Leverage Discount Platforms: Seek savings on wedding websites and apps, with guidance from a wedding planner if available.
- Electronic Invitations and RSVPs: Save on printing costs using electronic invitations and RSVP services. Utilize social media for efficient communication.
- Combine Ceremony and Reception: Maximize your budget by hosting both the wedding ceremony and reception at the same outdoor venue.
- Provide Your Own Alcohol: Save on a full open bar by purchasing alcohol based on guest preferences. Accompany it with a simple menu of your favorite comfort foods.
- Consider a Food Truck: Add variety to the menu for the food service and complement the laid-back atmosphere of an intimate backyard wedding with a food truck.
- Backyard Games: Incorporate budget-friendly entertainment by setting up backyard games like cornhole, horseshoes, or giant Jenga. These activities provide a fun and interactive element for guests without the need for costly entertainment options.
- Homemade desserts: Save on the wedding cake budget by opting for homemade desserts or a dessert bar. Encourage friends and family to contribute their favorite sweets, creating a diverse and budget-friendly dessert spread.
- Community Support: Seek support from your community for various aspects of your wedding. This could include borrowing items, utilizing local talents for services like photography or music, or even asking for assistance setting up the venue.
In summary, these low-budget wedding tips cover everything from DIY burlap decorations to thoughtful spending on flowers and services, ensuring your intimate backyard wedding remains beautiful and memorable while staying within budget.
Weddings often feel like they need a big budget for grand venues, but the truth is, they can get expensive. Luckily, with some smart planning and creativity, you can have your dream wedding without spending a fortune.
DIY lets you add a personal touch to your wedding, making it special and memorable. You don’t need to be a craft expert; explore different DIY ideas to match your theme.
Whether you’re thinking of a rustic, boho-chic, or vintage style, DIY allows you to customize every detail.
In this guide, we’ve covered a range of budget-friendly ideas and extra tips to keep your budget in check. These tips cover everything from prioritizing with a checklist to using seasonal flowers and considering a food truck for a laid-back vibe.
In a nutshell, this guide is your companion to creating a stunning outdoor backyard wedding on a $300 budget.
It shows that weddings can be uniquely yours, even with limited funds.
So, embrace your creativity and turn simple ideas into extraordinary memories that will last a lifetime.